Our study has identified the following key trends which will affect industry, retail and consumers during 2015 and beyond.
1. ‘From Clean Label to Clear Label’ → With the consumer demand for more transparency increase the requirements on food producers.
2. ‘Convenience for foodies and fresh foods’ → Good traditional fare is on the march. Foodies, a fast-growing group of people who are passionate about food, are very keen on fresh foods and are looking for things that help them with their home cooking.
3. ‘Address Millennials in the right way’ → Millennials (consumers aged 15 to 35 who are well informed and willing to try out new things) spend a lot of time online. They are a generation oriented around information and must therefore be addressed using suitable new methods.
4. ‘Snacks becoming more important’ → Snacks are continuing to become more important and in doing so are changing eating habits fundamentally.
5. ‘Avoid certain fats and carbohydrates and suffer less complaints’ → The image of carbohydrates and fats is improving constantly and consumers are placing clear emphasis on health as a ‘positive’ value.